Recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large diced red potato
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli florets
- 1 large handful fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper (I use garlic salt)
Melt butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour to make roux. Add garlic and sauté about 2 minutes. Add stock, potato and all seasonings; bring to boil. Lower heat, simmer uncovered until potato is fork tender. Add broccoli and spinach, heat for 2 minutes. Stir in cream. Gradually add cheeses until melted.Pour into blender in batches. Puree until thick and silky smooth. At this point you can heat and serve with extra grated cheese (for the fun of having it melt in) and crusty bread. OR continue on for a grand finale:
Preheat broiler. Place 6 oven proof soup bowls on baking sheet. Divide soup among bowls. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over each. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles around edges, about 4 minutes.
This is the Epicurious recipe I made my Broccoli Cheese Soup variation from. The sharp cheddar adds a lot of flavor. Since I have onionophobia, I always add extra garlic & other seasonings. Seems like you could hardly go wrong if you're pureeing it. We have a Vita-Mix so there was not a single trace of broccoli visible to tip off the kiddos! :-) Yummm ... tasted great for leftovers! Visit www.lifeasMOM.com for the Ultimate Recipe Swap of great veggie recipes.